Stay connected for the latest news and events from the Hibernian Historical Trust.

In the second part of the Fathers and Sons feature, Trust Curator Tom Wright looks at fathers and sons Jimmy and Paul Kane, Joe senior and junior McBride, and Allan and Mark McGraw who have played at Easter Road.

Signed by manager Pat Stanton from Salvesen in 1982, Paul Kane made his debut for the club as an 18 year old in a friendly against Swansea City in February 1983 and would go on to play well over 300 games for the club.

A lifelong Hibs supporter, the energetic and combative Kane who also an eye for goal served the club well for eight seasons before a move to the English side Oldham Athletic during the 1990/91 season. Kane spent just over a season with the Boundary Park club before a surprise move back to Scotland with Aberdeen, a side he had faced in the 1985 League Cup Final while with Hibs.

After a spell with the Norwegian side Viking Stavanger he returned to Scotland to play with St Johnstone before ending his career with Clyde in 2003. Kane played in three League Cup finals for Hibs, Aberdeen and St Johnston but unfortunately ended on the losing side on each occasion and finished his career without a winner’s medal.

He is now a successful businessman in the city and also the Chairman of the Hibernian Former Players Association.


father son 3

Paul Kane's father Jimmy was signed by the then Hibs manager Hugh Shaw


Despite the attention of both Hearts and Raith Rovers, father Jimmy Kane was signed by the then Hibs manager Hugh Shaw from Edinburgh Waverley in 1957. As a juvenile Kane had been tipped by many as a Scotland player of the future. While still with the army on National Service he was involved in a horrible collision with the Aberdeen goalkeeper Tubby Ogston during a reserve game at Pittodrie in 1959 that would see him stretchered from the field with a broken leg.

It was an injury that would severely curtail the promising youngster’s progress at Easter Road and unable to force himself into the first team, he would shortly join Cowdenbeath.

Man of many clubs Joe McBride joined Hibs from Celtic in 1968 as a replacement for Colin Stein after the latter’s record-breaking move to Rangers. A prolific goalscorer, the rugged McBride had started his professional career with Kilmarnock before a move to Wolves, Luton Town, Partick Thistle and Motherwell. However it was only after he became Jock Stein’s first signing for Celtic in 1965 that the player would really came into his own, scoring 49 league goals from just 44 appearances in his first two seasons at Parkhead.

During Celtic’s European Cup winning season in 1967, McBride had scored 33 goals in all games before Christmas. Unfortunately he picked up an injury that would keep him out for the rest of the season including Celtic’s historic European Cup win. Failing to re-establish himself in the first team at Parkhead he joined Hibs in 1968 where he would continue his rich goal scoring form. He became the first Hibs player to score a hat trick in European competition during the 3-1 Fairs Cup victory against Lokomotive Leipzig at Easter Road before a fall out with chairman Tom Hart hastened his premature end at Easter Road.

Incredibly, with Hibs then in the middle of a goal drought, in 1969 the proven goalscorer would be allowed to join Dunfermline Athletic for the bargain fee of £4,000, finally ending an illustrious career with Clyde.


father son 4

Joe McBride Senior became the first Hibs player to score a hat-trick in European competition


After service with Everton, Rotherham and Oldham where he would line up alongside the future Hibs goalkeeper Andy Goram, McBride’s son Joseph would join the Easter Road side during the 1984/85 season and although playing many more games for Hibs than his father he would perhaps be compared unfavourably and unfairly with McBride senior as a goal scorer. Although he would make 91 appearances in all games for the club his tally of just 12 goals would fall well short of McBride seniors 58 goals from 90 appearances in all games.

After five seasons at Easter Road Joe junior would do the rounds with Dundee, East Fife, Albion Rovers and Livingston, before ending a long senior career with Hamilton in 1997.

Originally a centre half with Renfrew Juniors, Allan McGraw soon discovered that he was better at scoring goals than stopping them. Joining Morton in 1961 he quickly became a goalscoring sensation and would eventually achieve the British goalscoring record of 58 goals in the one season, 51 in the league from just 35 games and another seven in cup ties including the equaliser against Hibs in the 1963 League Cup Semi Final and the winning goal in the replay.

After five seasons at Cappielow during which time he had scored the phenomenal total of 116 goals from just 137 games he was snapped up by the Hibs manager Bob Shankly for around £18,000 just in time for the start of the 1966/67 season.

Perhaps surprisingly considering his phenomenal goalscoring record he would soon be moved back to wing half but still managed to score 23 goals during his three seasons at Easter Road. He is probably best remembered for scoring the winner against Dundee in the 1968 League Cup semi final at Tynecastle with his leg heavily bandaged and appearing incapable of movement.

During his career he would receive several pain killing injections that would ultimately lead to a long term injury that would not only shorten his career, but would require the use of walking sticks in later life. After a short spell as a guest player with Toronto City he would later sign for Linfield before a return to Morton. His old injury however would severely curtail his playing career and he would later manage the Cappielow side for several years.

After starting his career with Port Glasgow Rangers, McGraw’s son Mark would make only a few appearances for a Morton side then managed by his father Allan before signing for Hibs in 1990.

Although much was expected of the youngster an injury received in a game against Dunfermline just a few weeks before the 1991 Skol Cup Final would probably cost him a place in Hibs winning side.

Unfortunately, after recovering from the injury he was probably never the same player again and after just 55 appearances, the majority as substitute, and just three goals he would join Falkirk in 1995 before a brief return to Morton, finally ending his playing career with Forfar after spells with Clyde and Stirling Albion. He is now a police officer in Edinburgh.


Written by Tom Wright

If you can add to any historical article, perhaps with special memories, a favourite story or the results of your original research, the Hibernian Historical Trust would love to hear from you.
You can kindly contribute by contacting us HERE.