Players to wear the green and white of the Hibees.

Here is a growing collection of players and internationalists to feature for Hibernian throughout the years.

Position Defender

Gordon 'Geebsie' Hunter played more than 400 games for Hibs over a thirteen year period, helped win the Skol League Cup and appeared in two other finals.


Gordon Hunter Profile


However, he will be always be remembered for one goal in particular, scored in front of delirious Hibs fans in the Gorgie Road end of Tynecastle on August 27 1994; a goal which ended the 22-game winless streak against the Hearts stretching back five years.

Due to ground refurbishment at Tynecastle, a smaller than usual number of tickets were allocated for the away supporters, which caused many Hibs fans desperate to be there when the run finally ended, to buy tickets amongst the home support.

This became apparent when the teams emerged, and the first half saw a constant stream of Hibs fans being removed from the Hearts end. Most, if not all were allowed to join their 'colleagues' behind Jim Leighton's goal.

After a goalless first half, Hibs took the lead in 62 minutes. After being awarded a corner, Michael O'Neill sent a dangerous cross into the centre of the box and Dave Beaumont flicked the ball on for Gordon who arrived at the back post and fired an angled shot high into the net from ten yards. The Gorgie Road end erupted in a sea of green and white, but experience taught the fans that the game was far from over as the Hearts' players were determined to keep their record going.


Gordon Hunter 1

Gordon Hunter runs off to celebrate after netting against Hearts


Stephen Frail and Mo Johnston were booked for fouls on Darren Jackson and Steven Tweed respectively, and then with 17 minutes remaining, Gary Mackay was sent off after his second booking of the afternoon for pushing Brian Hamilton on to the track as they fought for a ball near the dugouts.

Eventually, referee Les Mottram blew for full-time sparking unprecedented levels of celebration from the Hibs fans, with several running onto the park to congratulate the players, and a great weight had been lifted off the shoulders of everyone at the club, while Gordon gained immortality amongst the Easter Road faithful.

There was much more to Gordon's career than that one goal however.

Brought up in Wallyford, Gordon made his name with Musselburgh Windsor, before signing for his boyhood favourites. At that time, Hibs had a number of quality youngsters coming through the ranks including Paul Kane, Mickey Weir, John Collins, Eddie May, Kevin McKee, and as part of their football education, the youngsters would take on the coaching staff including Jimmy O'Rourke and George Stewart.

Legend has it, manager Pat Stanton watched the young Gordon flying into tackles, and referring to the letters GH on his training kit, allegedly said; " GH, more like GBH" and the name 'Geebsie' was born.

Soon after, Pat handed the youngster his first team debut as a 16-year-old in November 1983 in a 2-1 League Cup defeat to Kilmarnock at Rugby Park, alongside Willie Jamieson and experienced full-backs Alan Sneddon and Erich Schaedler in the back four. Ironically, Gordon Rae whom he would partner in the centre of the Hibs defence played centre forward that night.

Gordon played a further two games that season then seven the following campaign as the club changed managers with John Blackley taking over from Pat Stanton.

His career took off during season 85/86 when he made the number six jersey his own, and helped the club reach the League Cup Final, beating both halves of the Old Firm on the way. Celtic were dispatched on penalties after a memorable 4-4 draw at Easter Road in the quarter final then Rangers were beaten 2-1 over two legs in the semi-final.

Unfortunately, big Gordon Rae was suspended for the final, and the Hibs youngsters were no match for Alex Ferguson's experienced Aberdeen side.

A poor start to the following season saw John Blackley replaced by Alex Miller, but if Gordon had any concerns about his place in the team, they were quickly proved to be unfounded as he was selected for Miller's first game against Rangers at Easter Road which ended on a 0-0 draw.

Gordon remained a regular under Miller and scored his first goal in a 2-0 won over St Mirren at Easter Road in December 1988, playing his part in helping Hibs qualify for Europe where he featured in what many consider to the club's finest away performance, beating Videoton 3-0 in Hungary.

Following the unsuccessful takeover bid by Wallace Mercer, Hibs started the 1991/2 season in style, reaching the Skol League Cup final after beating Walter Smith's Rangers in a never to be forgotten game at Hampden thanks to a Keith Wright goal. Gordon and the defence then held firm against an onslaught from a Rangers team which included a forward line of Ally McCoist, Mark Hately and Maurice Johnstone.

A fine defensive performance in the final against Dunfermline resulted in another clean sheet, whilst Tommy McIntyre and Keith Wright scored the goals which brought the trophy back to Easter Road after an absence of 19 years.

Two years later, Gordon helped Hibs reach another League Cup Final, but the multi-million pound Rangers team put together by Walter Smith lifted the trophy after a closely fought contest at Parkhead where the teams were separated by an overhead kick from substitute Ally McCoist.

Gordon's loyalty to his boyhood heroes was recognised in September 1996 when he was awarded a testimonial match against Gordon Strachan's Coventry City at Easter Road, becoming only the 10th Hibs' player to have ever been bestowed that honour.

Another change of manager saw Jim Duffy replace Alex Miller, but a poor run of form meant that Gordon's testimonial year coincided with a relegation battle, which ended in a play-off against Airdrie.

Gordon's last game for the club was the first leg at Easter Road, which Hibs won narrowly, despite his controversial first half red card which ruled him out of the return leg at Broadwood.

Thankfully, despite losing an early goal then conceding a penalty to a stuffy Airdrie side, Hibs fought back and a fantastic performance from Darren Jackson in particular saw Hibs retain their top flight status.

Freeing Gordon caused some raised eyebrows amongst the fans who could only speculate as to whether his presence in the team could have helped avoid the subsequent relegation which arrived at the end of the following season.

Next stop for Gordon was Australia with Canberra Cosmos then he briefly played in Iceland before returning to Scotland to feature in the colours of Dundee, Cowdenbeath and Hamilton.

Gordon continues to play several charity games each year with former Hibs teammates, remaining a popular figure amongst supporters.



Full name Gordon Hunter
Date of birth 3rd May 1967
Place of birth Wallyford, Scotland
Height 5ft 11in

If you can add to any historical article, perhaps with special memories, a favourite story or the results of your original research, the Hibernian Historical Trust would love to hear from you.
You can kindly contribute by contacting us HERE.